The Brand New ONE offers progressive programming from Canada and around the world on natural health, personal growth, new ideas and intriguing possibilities — each of them opening up our options for recharging our life and reaching our maximum potential.
- What we are looking for: Lifestyle, informational, documentary and talk shows relevant to holistic approaches to wellness.
- We are NOT looking for: Programs from the perspectives of traditional, Western theory or practice.
ONE can commission very few independent productions each year at very modest licence fees (marginally more than acquisition fees), ranging between $1,000 to $3,000 per episode. Financing these programs may necessitate sponsorship and/or a barter relationship (the producer retains some of the commercial air-time to sell to advertisers); or second and third windows.
- ONE Release Form 2011 (PDF)
Break Structure Specifications
- Break Structure — 30 minutes
- Break Structure — 60 minutes
- Break Structure — 90 minutes
- Break Structure — 120 minutes
Canadian Content Requirements
Virtually all of the documentary programming ONE broadcasts must qualify as Canadian content. This means that foreign producers must work with Canadian co-producers to achieve a qualifying rating on the CAVCO scale.
Submitting a Proposal to ONE
Proposals must include:
- Submission date.
- Program title.
- Length — e.g. 22 (1/2 hr. slot), 45 (1 hr. slot), feature (specify length).
- Number of episodes.
- Genre — e.g. information, exercise, talk show, documentary one off, mini-series, lifestyle, reality.
- Co-Production (if applicable) — co-producing countries.
- Logline — a one-line description of the program/series.
- Synopsis — a concise description of the program/series that fully conveys the creative treatment. Maximum 150 words.
- Treatment — includes the background, key issues, key characters and the access you have to them, host or investigator’s role (if applicable), the way the story will be told, the style and tone, the devices that will be used (e.g. narration, interviews, verite footage, archival stills or footage, CGI, re-enactments, graphics, etc.). Maximum four pages.
- For series — titles and short paragraph description of each episode.
- Story arc or structure broken into acts (see break structure above).
- Low-res photographs are welcome.
- CV’s of the creative team — we are looking for clear proof that you and your team have the knowledge, qualifications and track record to make the project not only succeed but shine.
- Full contact information.
- Budget — If your proposal is of interest, you will be asked to submit a budget, finance plans and sample DVDs (if applicable).
Proposals MUST be submitted with a release form. Print by clicking here:
ONE Release Form 2011 (PDF). Sign, scan and send as PDF with your proposal or send by fax to 416-368-9774.
Meeting With Us
We frequently meet producers, most often after we have discussed an idea by phone or after they have sent an outline or complete written proposal. Given the volume of proposals we receive for consideration from across Canada, it can be difficult for us to find time to meet on spec. We are often at festivals, events and industry gatherings across the country where we participate in panels and pitch sessions.
Where to Send Your Proposal
Proposals MUST be sent by email to: email@example.com
Hard copies are NOT required but if you wish, they may be mailed to:
Director, Independent Production
ONE Body Mind Spirit Love
64 Jefferson Avenue
ONE is an English language service and only accepts proposals and projects that originate in English.
Normally we respond to proposals in six to eight weeks or more. Please be patient as the number of proposals to be read and tapes to be screened can be overwhelming for our limited staff. Please do not expect “rush treatment.” Exceptions cannot be made to meet other funding deadlines. If you know of a deadline coming up, you can best ensure that it is met by submitting your proposal a minimum of eight weeks in advance.
Unsolicited proposals and tapes are not returned, so never send us your only copies.
We recognize that all ideas or projects presented in written form have been submitted in confidence by the independent producer and undertake not to pass any information about ideas or proposals to any third party without first obtaining consent.
Please also be aware that ideas submitted to us may be similar or identical to those already developed by ONE or which others have already submitted. We accept no responsibility for duplication of ideas.
In submitting a proposal or idea to ONE (whether via email, phone, mail, courier, hand delivery, tape, CD or a face to face meeting) you understand that ONE will not make any use of the proposal or idea that you are submitting to us except under the terms of an agreement to be negotiated between us.
You acknowledge and agree that our receipt and review of your proposal or idea does not mean that your proposal or idea or the underlying concept therein is unique or original.
Similarly, you acknowledge and agree that ONE, or other persons, may have previously created or may in the future independently create something that is substantially similar or identical to your proposal or idea, which we will have the unrestricted right to use with no liability or obligation to you.
You have retained a copy of the Materials submitted to us and release us from liability for loss or damage to such Materials. The Materials submitted by you will not be returned. All of the above applies equally to any proposal or idea you have in the past or may in the future submit to us.